Launching an online course is no mean feat.
There’s a ton that goes into creating your course content, as well as promoting and planning your launch.
Your bonus package is no exception.
In fact, almost as much thought should be put into your bonus package as the course itself.
But so often the bonus packages we see are weak and impotent…almost like an afterthought.
The bonuses you choose to offer will either help sell your course…or keep people on the fence. Which means…
Often, it’s the bonuses people are actually buying, and NOT the course itself (I know I’ve bought at least one course just to get my paws on the bonus items!).Bonuses are an important ingredient of every successful online course launch. Here's why.Click To Tweet
Turns out, bonuses…
- Increase the course’s perceived value
- Permit covering other topics that are relevant to the course…but not quite a perfect fit to be included in the course content
- Help get people off the fence (like fast-action bonuses)
- Help move people through the course → Marie Forleo and other course creators do this by “unlocking” certain bonuses as you work through their programs
In this post, I’ll show you how to choose the right bonuses to help sell your next online course.
A Bonus Package That Sells: The Criteria
Before you start adding everything and anything to your bonus package, there are some criteria these items should meet.
Are your considerations:
- Congruent and relevant – will they help people get the most value from your course, and deliver peace-of-mind? If the bonus item isn’t a natural “fit” with the rest of the course content, then leave it out.
- Will they help participants get results quicker, like a private coaching session or a copy critique?
- Do they add a “pre-step” (work that needs to be done beforehand)?
- Do they add a the “next step” to the process? (eg. showing someone how to scale a successful Facebook ad campaign so they can increase their results)
- Do they provide realistic value? A bonus shouldn’t just be over-inflated “fluff” – it should have a real, true value.
- Do they provide extra support or help, like a Slack or Facebook community
- Do they help people do or overcome something scary (eg. like writing a sales page)?
- For action-takers? (eg. Webinar or fast-action bonuses)
Your bonus items don’t have to meet all the criteria above, but to be included in your bonus package, it should have a checkmark next to at least one factor on that list.Bonuses need to be relevant to your course or program and provide real value. Do yours?Click To Tweet
👉 DOWNLOAD THIS NOW: The Profitable Launch Checklist
You may not realize it, but there are several different types of awesome course bonuses you can offer.
Here’s a taste to get you started:
- Facebook group
- Slack group
- In-person event
- Recorded training videos
- Workbook and/or worksheets
- Live workshop recording
- Group Coaching or Q&A calls
- 1:1 coaching/calls
- Live interviews with other experts
As you can see, there are a lot of options available to you as a course creator. It’s up to you to decide what you ultimately want to include in your bonus package.
💡 Pro Tip: Don’t re-create the wheel – chances are, you’ve already created several resources that would make great bonuses.
What items have you already created that could be used in a bonus package?
How many bonuses should you have?
Have you ever read someone’s sales page and they had like, 20 different bonuses? *ugh!*
While I know you’ve got the best intentions and could include multitudes of tools and resources for a course participant to get more from their investment, there’s one giant thing you need to keep in mind.
People are busy.
Which means that if your course looks like it’s going to be too much of a commitment both from the content itself and from the bonuses included, then that will stifle your launch results.
So…aim for a happy medium.
Not too many, but not too few either.
Somewhere between four and five bonus items keeps the commitment realistic to the prospective buyer while still offering a respectable number of additional, value-added resources.People are busy. Don't overwhelm them with bonuses!Click To Tweet
Over to you…
Now it’s your turn.
- What have you already created that will help your online course participants get more mileage from the material, that meets the criteria above?
- What additional items can you offer that are quick and easy to produce, yet provide real value?
I’d love to know what you think. Did the advice here help you get results, or do you still have questions? Share it in the comments!
Like this post? Share it!
You may also like:
- How To Plan a Successful Launch
- How To Launch a Profitable Online Course (The Definitive Guide)
- 5 Reasons Most Launches Fail
- 7 Bankable Emails for Your Next Launch